What You Should Know About ADHD As a Parent?

Comments · 222 Views

If your child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), they may face challenges that include problems in school as well as social situations. That’s why comprehensive treatment is key.

Your child’s doctor may encourage them to see a variety of pediatric, mental health, as well as education specialists. Learn something about the ADHD specialist in charleston sc that can help your child manage ADHD.

  • Primary care doctor

If you suspect your child has ADHD, make an appointment with their primary care doctor. This doctor may be a general practitioner (GP) or pediatrician.

If your child’s doctor diagnoses them with ADHD, they may prescribe medication. They may also refer your child to a mental health specialist, like a psychologist or psychiatrist. These specialists can provide your child with counseling as well as help them manage their symptoms by developing coping strategies.

  • Psychiatrist

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has training in treating mental health conditions. They can help diagnose ADHD, prescribe medication, as well as provide your child with counseling or therapy. It’s best to seek out a psychiatrist who has experience treating children.

  • Psychologist

A psychologist is a mental health professional who has a degree in psychology. They provide social skills training as well as behavior modification therapy. They can help your child understand and manage their symptoms and test their IQ.

In some states, psychologists can prescribe medications for treating ADHD. If the psychologist practices in a state where they cannot prescribe, they can refer your child to a doctor who can evaluate whether your child needs medication.


  • Psychiatric nurse practitioners

A psychiatric nurse practitioner is a registered nurse who has advanced training at the masters or doctoral level. And they are certified as well as licensed by the state in which they practice.

They can provide a medical diagnosis and other therapeutic interventions. And they can prescribe medication. Nurse practitioners who are licensed and certified in the area of mental health can diagnose ADHD and can prescribe medications to treat this condition.


  • Speech-language pathologist

Some children with ADHD have challenges with speech as well as language development. If this is the case for your child, they may be referred to a speech-language pathologist who can help your child learn to communicate more effectively in social situations.

A speech-language pathologist may also help your child develop better planning, organization, and study skills. And they may work with your child’s teacher to help your child succeed in school.


  • Social worker

A social worker is a professional who has a degree in social work. They can help your child cope with challenges in daily life. For example, they may assess your child’s behavior patterns and mood. Then they can help them develop coping strategies to manage their condition and be more successful in social situations.

Social workers don’t prescribe medication. But they may refer your child to a doctor who can issue a prescription.


  • To sum it up

As a parent of a child with ADHD, you may also benefit from seeing a mental health specialist at Neighbors Pediatrics. If you’re experiencing symptoms of chronic stress, anxiety, or other concerns, talk to your doctor. They can refer you to a psychologist, psychiatrist, or another specialist for treatment. Contact us today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NbrsPeds/